In late 2015, after years of last minute renewals, Congress made permanent the Individual Retirement Account (IRA) Charitable Rollover agreement which allows people 70 ½ years of age or older to transfer up to $100,000 of tax-free gifts from their IRA to their favorite charity. Distributions can only be made from traditional IRA accounts or Roth IRAs; and must be payable directly from the IRA trustee to the public charity. Donors cannot receive any goods or services in return for their charitable IRA rollover contributions in order to qualify for the tax-free provision, and must obtain written substantiation of each rollover contribution from each recipient charity. Key Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover include:
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to charitable organizations
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the 50% deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help further the work and mission of your favorite charities
The IRA charitable rollover can also be used to donate a Leadership or Endowment gift to UWRA! If you would like to contribute through this method please:
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to UWRA.
- A sample letter of instruction you can give to your IRA administrators to initiate the gift can be obtained by CLICKING HERE or contacting the UWRA office
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to UWRA to help continue our important work!